Thursday, September 9, 2010

Requiescant in pace


Requiescant in pace.... as promised lots of pictures of Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires,  a beautiful city of angels in miniature.
It was originally home to monks of the order of the Recoletas in the early 18th century. It was disbanded in 1822 and the gardens of the convent became Buenos Aires' first public cemetery, it was named Requiescant in pace.
There are nearly 5000 mausoleums, they vary in size, age, style and condition. My favourites were the ones that have fallen into disrepair, many overgrown with ferns and creepers and often occupied with various members of the cemetery's cat colony. Made up of narrow little streets it is a fascinating city in miniature, all with coffins in view. So many beautiful architectural details, especially the iron work and statues. 






















So many romantic, tragic images, I think we need a quote....

She is coming, my own, my sweet;
were it ever so airy a tread,
My heart would hear her and beat,
Were it earth in an earthy bed;
My dust would hear her and beat,
 Had I lain for a century dead:
Would start and tremble under her feet,
And blossom in purple and red.

from Maud by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

No comments:

Post a Comment